Eric Schneiderman withdraws bid for New York governor

by Elizabeth Weise

New York’s attorney general has said he is dropping his bid for governor, because he has a “long list of pressing and important matters” to take care of in the state’s top job.

“Today I am withdrawing my candidacy for governor,” Eric Schneiderman said in a statement issued on Monday.

The announcement comes as the New York district attorney’s office has launched an investigation into how Mr Schneiderman responded to accusations of physical abuse made by four women.

In a statement released on Monday Mr Schneiderman said: “No matter who you are, if you have been abused, you deserve to know that you are believed. I have failed you.”

He had been one of three Democrats and two Republicans vying to replace Governor Andrew Cuomo.

Photo: AFP

Mr Schneiderman had been accused of physical abuse by four women, and the probe by Manhattan’s district attorney, Cyrus Vance, began on 13 October.

On Monday, he added: “I am especially sensitive to the unfair burden that victims of domestic violence place on themselves by not reporting their experiences. And in the face of any abuse, whether it is at the hands of a loved one or someone who holds public office, I will not stand by quietly.”

In his statement, Mr Schneiderman also said he expected to return to work as New York’s attorney general, “as soon as it is practical”.

– BBC

Leave a Comment